Mobility scooters and wheelchairs allow a person to move around more effortlessly and enable personal freedom, which could have an immensely uplifting impact on emotional well-being.
Power wheelchairs and mobility scooters may appear indistinguishable towards an ordinary individual.
However, anyone who relies on transport technology in their daily lives will tell you some significant differences between the two.
Although both mobility equipment aims to assist you in movement and become even more self-sufficient, picking one over the other might be difficult.
By reading this article, you can learn the detailed aspect of each alternative and make a suitable choice accordingly.
Understanding the difference:
Despite the decision between a mobility scooter and a power wheelchair being determined by your state of movement, other factors need to be explored.
So before you decide to buy a mobility scooter or an electric wheelchair, you need to know precisely what they are and some distinctions between the two.
What are Electrical/Power Wheelchairs?
Electric wheelchairs are mobility chairs that need little effort to use.
They have battery-powered electric motors that are carefully manufactured with the consumer in mind.
You can adjust the various design aspects to meet personal needs while ensuring convenience and protection.
It has the following characteristics:
- They are controlled by a joystick or touch controls, making them an excellent solution for people with severe mobility impairments.
- It is ideal for people who tire easily when using a manual wheelchair or have restricted use of their hands.
- Power wheelchairs can handle rough terrain, narrow spaces, and long distances.
- It is a perfect option for indoors.
- They fold up to store in car trunks when travelling and in closets at home.
- Provides independence both at home and while travelling.
The advantages of power wheelchairs include:
- Perfect for indoor use due to easy navigation around furniture and narrow hallways.
- It is ideal for people with severe impairments.
- Ease to operate.
- Convenient for travelling.
Users must know the potential downsides of an electric wheelchair:
- They are heavy and not intended for extended outdoor use
- Not intended for very long-distance travel
- Requires regular maintenance
- Charge battery regularly
What are Mobility Scooters?
Many companies like Tzora Mobility Scooters provide people with diverse scooters. A person who uses these scooters must have a good balance and control the scooter.
Some exceptional features include:
- Powered by a rechargeable battery pack
- Mobility scooters typically feature three to four wheels and are operated by handlebars
- Perfect for people who can use their hands to control their mobility scooters
- For individuals who have less severe mobility issues
- Better suited for outdoors and open spaces
- Heaps of legroom
- Easy to operate
- Perfect for outdoors
- It requires good balance and adequate arm strength for operation.
- Not intended for indoors or small spaces with obstacles
- It might be not easy to store or transport
- The battery needs to be charged more often
- Costlier than a power wheelchair
Scooters have a significant advantage over electric wheelchairs in that they can withstand rugged or steep terrain and are intended for covering longer distances.
However, Electric wheelchairs have an advantage over scooters for indoor activities.
To summarize, because mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs are so diverse, it’s challenging to make a head-to-head analysis.
In general, more capable individuals (those who can stand and walk unassisted) should utilize a mobility scooter.